i-tec USB-C Metal HDMI and VGA Adapter
Expand your desktop to external HDMI and/or VGA monitor or connect projector or television with HDMI or VGA interface to your notebook, tablet or PC via new USB-C or Thunderbolt 3 connector. The adapter supports the resolution:
- HDMI: 4K Ultra HD (up to 3840 x 2160 @30Hz, and stereo sound)
- VGA: 1080p (up to 1920 x 1080 @ 60Hz)
The adapter offers the “Extend” mode (support for 1 external monitor, either HDMI or VGA), or the “Mirror” mode (support for two external monitors, both displaying the same content). The “Mirror” mode is perfect for presentations (notebook/tablet connected via this adapter to the HDMI monitor and the VGA projector). In the case of two monitors connected, the maximum resolution is 1080p / 60 Hz for both of them.
- 1x HDMI (spec. 2.0b), max. 3840 x 2160 / 30Hz
- 1x VGA, max. 1920 x 1080 / 60Hz
- Modes: “Extend” (support for 1 external monitor), “Mirror” (support for up to two external monitors)
Please make sure to check a compatibility of your device, whether it meets all the requirements for an operation of the specific i-tec product, especially video output (Display Port Alt mode). If your device would not be fully compatible, your new i-tec product may not operate correctly. You may find the specifications your device (i.e. USB port), in a user manual supplied with your notebook/tablet/smartphone, or – alternatively – via customer service provided by a manufacturer of your device. If still uncertain, however, contact our service at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Long product description: i-tec USB-C to HDMI and VGA Adapter, 1x HDMI 4k/30 Hz, 1x VGA 1080p / 60Hz, compatible with Thunderbolt 3
Where to Buy
- Expand your desktop to external HDMI and/or VGA monitor or connect projector or television with HDMI or VGA interface via new USB-C or Thunderbolt 3 connector to your laptop, tablet or PC
- 1x USB-C 3.1 connector, transfer rate up to 10 Gbps
- Graphic interface: 1x HDMI (spec. 2.0b) and 1x VGA
- Resolution: HDMI max. 3840 x 2160 / 30Hz, VGA max. 1920 x 1080p / 60Hz. When HDMI and VGA are connected at the same time, the resolution is max. 1080p / 60Hz
- Mode: Extend, Mirror and Primary Display
- Supported colors 24 bit
- Powered through USB bus, no power adapter is needed
- OS: Requires USB-C interface with “DisplayPort Alternate Mode” support (not all devices/systems with USB-C interface supports the standard) or Thunderbolt 3 port – Windows 10 32/64bit, Mac OS X, Chrome OS and Android (Google)
- Product dimensions: 61 x 40 x 15 mm
- Product weight: 48 g
- Packaging dimensions: 130 x 100 x 20 mm
- Packaging weight: 69 g
- Hardware requirements: notebook, tablet, PC with OS Windows, Mac or Google with a free port USB-C with “DisplayPort Alternate Mode” support or with Thunderbolt 3 port
- Operating system: Windows 10, Mac OS X, Chrome OS and Android (Google) with latest updates
- i-tec USB-C Metal HDMI and VGA Adapter with cable (15 cm)
- Quick Start
Question: When I close the laptop lid, the laptop turns off. Is it possible to prevent it?
- Windows has a special setting which controls what the laptop should do in case of closing the lid. This setting needs to be changed. Right-click the Start button and select Power options. From the options on the right, select Other power settings. A new window opens, and here from the left menu, select Choose what closing the lid does / When I Close the Lid and select Do nothing.
- In macOS there are 4 conditions to be met to avoid turning off the MacBook. The MacBook needs to be connected to the power supply, an external keyboard, mouse, and monitor must be connected. Then you can close the MacBook lid and work with an external monitor only.
Question: Can the monitor connected via the docking station use the graphics technology from nVidia/AMD/Intel? E.g. G-sync, or FreeSync.
Answer: The docking station cannot use the graphics technologies from nVidia/AMD/Intel.
Question: Is it possible to set the frame rate to 120 Hz (144 Hz etc.) with the docking station / video adapter?
Answer: This is not possible. The docking station can handle maximum 60 Hz.
Question: Is it possible to connect a touchscreen monitor?
Answer: This is possible, but in this case i-tec Technologies cannot provide technical support because it is the technology of the monitor manufacturer.
Question: The image on the connected monitor flickers.
Answer: Please try a better HDMI/DisplayPort cable, this can solve your problem.
Question: Can I use a reduction to convert the signal from DVI/HDMI to DisplayPort?
Answer: Signal conversion from HDMI to DisplayPort is possible, but only in case of using the active (powered) adapter. In any case, a passive (non-powered) cable/adapter cannot be used. The passive cables/adapters can only convert the DisplayPort signal to HDMI.
Question The external monitor will not wake up after waking up my laptop.
Answer Try changing the monitor’s input setting from AUTO to a fixed monitor input.
If, after a long time, the automatic search for the active port does not find any input,
then the monitor may sleep so that it fails to respond to the signal from the docking station port.
Question: Does this docking station/video adapter support an audio signal transfer over HDMI or DP?
Answer: Yes, if your monitor (projector) has integrated speakers, it is possible to transfer the audio signals via HDMI or DP cable. In your OS settings, however, you must change your default audio playback device.
Question: What are the requirements for the primary graphics cards for use with graphics chipsets in i-tec graphics adapters and docking stations?
Answer: The graphics chipsets in i-tec products are secondary (additional) graphics cards in a PC.
They need a primary graphic card installed for their functionality.
Note for Windows 10 and later: In these operating systems, the graphics driver only works depending on the primary graphics cards: Intel, NVidia, ATI/AMD, VIA. It can’t work with SiS or Matrox graphic cards.
Question: I have your device and the image transfer does not work.
Answer: Your device must meet system requirements, especially DP Alt. Mode support on the USB-C port. If you are not sure about DP Alt. Mode support on your device, please contact your device manufacturer or our technical support: email@example.com.
Question: Supports the “USB-C Alt Mode” HDMI output at 4K resolution 60 Hz?
Answer: No. A port which complies to the HDMI 1.4 (when using USB-C Alt. Mode) at 3840×2160 resolution can reach maximum 30 Hz. At a resolution of 2560×1440 and below, you can set 60 Hz.
Question: Can I use this docking station/video adapter also via the Thunderbolt3 port?
Answer: Yes, the USB-C docking station/graphics adapter can also be used via the Thunderbolt3 port.
Only the Power Delivery may not work, but it depends on the TB3 features of your laptop.