i-tec USB-C 4K Mini Docking Station PD/Data
Enhance your notebook, tablet or smartphone using USB-C connectivity. This Thunderbolt 3 compatible travel docking station with HDMI port supports 4K Ultra HD resolution (3840 x 2160 @ 30Hz) and stereo sound. USB-C Power Delivery (PD) port enables a notebook, tablet or smartphone to be powered and charged (max. 60 W). The unit features two USB-C ports, 1x supporting a data transfer rate of 5 Gbps and 1x USB-C Power Delivery port, which is capable of charging all notebooks, tablets, and smartphones with USB-C Power Delivery support.
2x USB 3.0 ports (USB 3.1/3.0/2.0 compatible) make it easy to connect all of your favourite existing hardware, while the Gigabit Ethernet RJ45 port provides reliable, robust and high-speed internet connection, supporting 10/100/1000 Mbps speeds.
C31MINIDOCK4KPD is extremely compact and lightweight, so perfect for when you are on the move. It is quick and easy to set-up and with no external power supply or driver download, simply plug & play. Suitable for use with MacBook Pro 2016, Macbook 2015, Chromebook Pixel 2015, Acer UX390, Acer Switch Alpha 12, Dell XPS 13 and HP Elitebook Folio G1, as well as other devices with USB-C connectivity.
Additional Important Information:
- The video transfer is not supported via the USB-C 3.1 (Gen. 1) port. This function is not supported by USB-C docking stations but is supported by Thunderbolt 3 docking stations.
- Not all devices/systems with USB-C interface support the full standard functionality. Please ensure that your USB-C device supports DP alt mode and USB Power Delivery.
Product Overview & Features:
- Connect your notebook, tablet or smartphone to an additional monitor and your favourite hardware via a single USB-C or Thunderbolt 3 port
- Supports all devices with the USB-C interface with “DisplayPort Alternate Mode” and „Power Delivery”, or Thunderbolt 3 port
- 1x HDMI port supporting 4K 3840×2160 @ 30Hz and stereo sound
- 1x USB-C 3.1 (gen. 1) port to connect other USB-C devices, supporting a data transfer rate of up to 5 Gbps
- 1x USB-C Power Delivery / Data Port – Power Delivery with the profile 4 for charging laptops, tablets or smartphones with support for Power Delivery. To this port you can connect an original or a universal AC power adapter with USB-C connector, it ensures the constant charging of your laptop, tablet or smartphone during your work. This port also enables data transfer, therefore can be used to connect modern data devices with USB-C connector (e.g. Ethernet adapter, USB Flash Drive…) However, the port does not enable video transfer.
- 2x USB 3.0 ports (USB 3.1/3.0/2.0 compatible), making it easy to connect all of your favourite existing hardware.
- Fast network and Internet access with Gigabit Ethernet RJ-45 port, supporting 10/100/1000 Mbps speeds
- Ideal for graphic designers, financial officers, gamers and other users working with more than one monitor simultaneously using the “Mirror” or “Extend” modes.
- 1x USB-C connector for connecting docking station to host (data transfer up to 5 Gbps, cable length 15 cm)
- Supports Windows 10 32/64 bit, Mac OS X, Chrome OS and Android 6
- Cross-brand and cross-platform compatibility
Please make sure to check a compatibility of your device, whether it meets all the requirements for an operation of the specific i-tec product, especially video output (Display Port Alt mode), and/or Power Delivery. If your device would not be fully compatible, your new i-tec product may not operate correctly. You may find the specifications your device (i.e. USB port), in a user manual supplied with your notebook/tablet/smartphone, or – alternatively – via customer service provided by a manufacturer of your device. If still uncertain, however, contact our service at email@example.com.
Long product description: i-tec USB-C Mini Docking Station, Multi-function Adapter, 1x HDMI 4K Ultra HD, 1x Gigabit Ethernet, 2x USB 3.0 Port, 1x USB-C port, 1x USB-C Power Delivery / Data Port, compatible with Thunderbolt 3, for Windows, Mac OS, Android, Chrome
Where to Buy
- Graphic interface: 1x HDMI, max. resolution 4K 3840×2160@30Hz; for connecting an HDMI monitor
- Mode: Extend, Mirror and Primary Display
- Supported colors 16 / 32 bit
- 1x USB-C 3.1 (Gen. 1) port for connecting to a data devices via USB-C connector, high-speed data transmission up to 5 Gbps
- 2x USB-A 3.0 port for connecting USB 3.1/3.0/2.0 devices and high-speed data transmission up to 5 Gbps
- 1x USB-C Power Delivery / Data Port – Power Delivery with the profile 4 (max. 60W) for charging laptops, tablets or smartphones with support for Power Delivery. To this port you can connect an original or a universal AC power adapter with USB-C connector, it ensures the constant charging of your laptop, tablet or smartphone during your work. This port also enables data transfer, therefore can be used to connect modern data devices with USB-C connector (e.g. Ethernet adapter, USB Flash Drive…) However, the port does not enable video transfer.
- 1x Ethernet GLAN RJ-45 port for fast network and Internet access with Gigabit Ethernet connection, it supports speeds of 10/100/1000 Mbps
- 1x integrated USB-C 3.1 cable for connecting the docking station to the laptop, tablet, PC or smartphone
- Powered by USB bus (no power adapter is needed) or through USB-C PD / Data port
- Chipset: VL101 & VL813 & PS176 & RTL8153
- OS: Requires USB-C interface with “DisplayPort Alternate Mode” and „Power Delivery“ support (not all devices/systems with USB-C interface supports the standard) or Thunderbolt 3 port – Windows 10 32/64bit, Mac OS X, Chrome OS and Android 6 (Google) with Intel Broadwell Processor and R51 and higher
- Product dimensions: 133 x 56 x 15 mm
- Product weight: 83 g
- Packaging dimensions: 175 x 130 x 20 mm
- Packaging weight: 133 g
Hardware: Notebook or tablet with Windows, Mac or Google OS. Available USB-C port with Display Alternate Mode and Power Delivery support, or a Thunderbolt 3 port.
Operating Software: Supports Windows 10 32/64bit, Mac OS X, Chrome OS and Android 6
- i-tec USB-C Mini Docking Station with cable (15 cm)
- Travel Pouch
- Quick Start
Product Part Numbers
|i-tec Part Number Product Description & EAN|
|C31MINIDOCK4KPD||i-tec USB-C 4K Mini Docking Station PD/Data, EAN 8595611702044|
|USB-C 3.1 (gen. 1)||1|
|USB-C male||1 (for connecting the docking station to the host)|
|USB 3.0 Type A||2|
|Hardware||Notebook or tablet with Windows, Mac or Google OS. Available USB-C port with Display Alternate Mode and Power Delivery support, or a Thunderbolt 3 port.|
|Operating Software||Supports Windows 10 32/64bit, Mac OS X, Chrome OS and Android 6|
|Power Source||USB Powered|
|Product Dimensions (l x w x h)||133 x 56 x 15 mm|
|Product Weight (excl. packaging)||83 g|
|Product Weight (incl. packaging)||133 g|
|Packaging Dimensions||175 x 130 x 20 mm|
|After Sales Service|
|Warranty Period||2 years|
|Technical Support||Product Lifetime|
|i-tec USB-C 4K Mini Docking Station PD/Data|
|1x Travel pouch|
|1x Quick Start Guide|
- i-tec USB-C Mini Docking Station with cable (15 cm)
- Travel Pouch
- Quick Start
Question: When I close the laptop lid, the laptop turns off. Is it possible to prevent it?
- Windows has a special setting which controls what the laptop should do in case of closing the lid. This setting needs to be changed. Right-click the Start button and select Power options. From the options on the right, select Other power settings. A new window opens, and here from the left menu, select Choose what closing the lid does / When I Close the Lid and select Do nothing.
- In macOS there are 4 conditions to be met to avoid turning off the MacBook. The MacBook needs to be connected to the power supply, an external keyboard, mouse, and monitor must be connected. Then you can close the MacBook lid and work with an external monitor only.
Question: Can the monitor connected via the docking station use the graphics technology from nVidia/AMD/Intel? E.g. G-sync, or FreeSync.
Answer: The docking station cannot use the graphics technologies from nVidia/AMD/Intel.
Question: Is it possible to set the frame rate to 120 Hz (144 Hz etc.) with the docking station / video adapter?
Answer: This is not possible. The docking station can handle maximum 60 Hz.
Question: Is it possible to connect a touchscreen monitor?
Answer: This is possible, but in this case i-tec Technologies cannot provide technical support because it is the technology of the monitor manufacturer.
Question: The image on the connected monitor flickers.
Answer: Please try a better HDMI/DisplayPort cable, this can solve your problem.
Question: Can I use a reduction to convert the signal from DVI/HDMI to DisplayPort?
Answer: Signal conversion from HDMI to DisplayPort is possible, but only in case of using the active (powered) adapter. In any case, a passive (non-powered) cable/adapter cannot be used. The passive cables/adapters can only convert the DisplayPort signal to HDMI.
Question: I use a docking station in the office/business, and if I plug the Ethernet cable into the docking station, I can’t connect to the internet/local area network. But when I plug this cable into the LAN connector in the laptop, everything works properly.
Answer: In some cases, the businesses limit the LAN/local network connection only to the network elements with a known MAC address (each LAN connector has its own MAC address).
This can be bypassed either by manually changing the MAC address of the LAN connector in the docking station, or by using our i-tec Docker Pro software (for Windows) which clones the MAC address from your laptop to the docking station. The i-tec Docker Pro is free and you can download it from our website. https://i-tec.cz/en/produkt/dockerprosw-2/
Question: Can the docking station charge the laptop via USB 3.0 connector?
Answer: From a technological point of view, the USB 3.0 specification does not support laptop charging via the USB 3.0 connector.
Question: I have a laptop with a Thunderbolt 3 or USB-C port, but the laptop does not charge anyway.
Answer: According to the Thunderbolt 3/USB-C specifications, the laptop powering is only optional. Not all laptops allow this option, especially the laptops with a power supply of over 100 W. Also, some manufacturers restrict/block charging from docking stations/adapters which are not produced by given manufacturer. If you are not sure whether your USB-C port meets these requirements, please contact your device manufacturer or our technical support: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Question: When I disconnect the USB-C Power Delivery Adapter from the docking station, the monitor will restart and disconnect and reconnect the USB device.
Answer: In this case, this is a standard behaviour described in the USB-IF Power Delivery Specifications. When the adapter is disconnected, the docking station must change its charging direction and take the power from the laptop. At the moment the power current direction is changed, all connected devices will reconnect.
Question: My laptop was not supplied with a USB-C adapter. Can I use a different USB-C adapter with your docking station?
Answer: Yes, it is possible. For example, you can choose any USB-C adapter from our offer: https://i-tec.cz/en/shop-window/?catg=chargers-and-batteries
Question: I have a laptop with a USB-C/Thunderbolt3 port, but the laptop does not charge anyway.
Answer: According to the USB-C/Thunderbolt 3 specifications, the laptop powering is only optional.
Not all laptops allow this option, especially the laptops supplied with a power supply which allows to charge your notebook with more than 100 W.
Question The external monitor will not wake up after waking up my laptop.
Answer Try changing the monitor’s input setting from AUTO to a fixed monitor input.
If, after a long time, the automatic search for the active port does not find any input,
then the monitor may sleep so that it fails to respond to the signal from the docking station port.
Question: Does this docking station/video adapter support an audio signal transfer over HDMI or DP?
Answer: Yes, if your monitor (projector) has integrated speakers, it is possible to transfer the audio signals via HDMI or DP cable. In your OS settings, however, you must change your default audio playback device.
Question: My MacBook was shipped with an 87 W charging adapter. Will 60 W Power Delivery charge my MacBook?
Answer: Yes, it will just charge slightly slower.
Question: When I connect a docking station to my Mac, the message “Cannot use Thunderbolt accessory: connect the device to the Thunderbolt port on this Mac” will appear.
What could be the cause?
Answer: This message may be caused by using a wrong cable.
Please check whether you use a Thunderbolt3 cable (marked at both ends by a flash symbol) and not a common USB-C cable which looks almost the same. Please use only the supplied Thunderbolt3 cables.
For example, this message may also appear when using a TB3 device with a USB-C hub or docking station with only a USB-C (and not Thunderbolt3) output.
Question: What are the requirements for the primary graphics cards for use with graphics chipsets in i-tec graphics adapters and docking stations?
Answer: The graphics chipsets in i-tec products are secondary (additional) graphics cards in a PC.
They need a primary graphic card installed for their functionality.
Note for Windows 10 and later: In these operating systems, the graphics driver only works depending on the primary graphics cards: Intel, NVidia, ATI/AMD, VIA. It can’t work with SiS or Matrox graphic cards.
Question: On my MacBook 13” / 15″ 2016 and later, my WiFi or Bluetooth stops working, or the USB 3.0 devices connected to the docking station disconnect. Where is the problem?
Answer: This problem is caused by interference in the 2.4 GHz band. A possible solution is that you connect the docking station to the Mac’s Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) port on the left-hand side closest to you or that you use the ports on the right side. These ports are located farthest from the WiFi antenna. Another solution is using the 5 GHz band and placing the docking station as far as possible from your Mac monitor. For more information, please visit: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201163
Question: I have your device and the image transfer does not work.
Answer: Your device must meet system requirements, especially DP Alt. Mode support on the USB-C port. If you are not sure about DP Alt. Mode support on your device, please contact your device manufacturer or our technical support: email@example.com.
Question: The image on the screen connected via the docking station flashes.
Answer: If you experience this issue, you may only have an improper setting of the monitor refresh rate. If you have setting of 59 Hz, please set to 60 Hz.
Question: Supports the “USB-C Alt Mode” HDMI output at 4K resolution 60 Hz?
Answer: No. A port which complies to the HDMI 1.4 (when using USB-C Alt. Mode) at 3840×2160 resolution can reach maximum 30 Hz. At a resolution of 2560×1440 and below, you can set 60 Hz.
Question: Is it possible to charge the HP laptops equipped with Thunderbolt 3 technology using this docking station?
Answer: Hewlett-Packard has implemented a proprietary technology in some models of its laptops which enables the charging only when using genuine HP stations. Please check the compatibility of your laptop with your reseller or contact the HP Technical Support.
Question: Can I use this docking station/video adapter also via the Thunderbolt3 port?
Answer: Yes, the USB-C docking station/graphics adapter can also be used via the Thunderbolt3 port.
Only the Power Delivery may not work, but it depends on the TB3 features of your laptop.
Question: Can I connect another USB-C DP Alt. Mode graphic adapter to the USB-C port of the docking station?
Answer: In the case of USB-C DP Alt. Mode technology, it is not possible to use multiple adapters by connecting them in series.
Question: There is no working LAN connection on my Android.
Answer: The Ethernet connection must be supported directly by the tablet manufacturer. You can easily verify the support in the set-up “Network Connections” – “Other Networks” – and the option “Ethernet” must be located here.
Question: Everything works fine, but it only shows the speed of 10 Mbps. Where is the problem?
Answer: Verify all the cabling between the PC/laptop and the active element and push the RJ-45 connectors. Sometimes can also help replacing the Ethernet cable between the adapter and the active network element (hub, switch, router) with a certified one. A solution can also be setting a specific value (instead of Auto Negotiation) in the properties of the network adapters, Speed & Duplex option.